The Los Angeles Boys & Girls Club was founded in 1944 as the Los Angeles Times Boys’ Club by a group of Lincoln Heights community activists. In 1950, The LA Times Charities dedicated the current building, a 33,000 square-foot facility, including a swimming pool, gym, and athletic field.
Many of the top civic leaders of Los Angeles during this era became involved in The Los Angeles Times Boys’ Club including Norman Chandler, publisher of the Los Angeles Times and Earl Warren, Governor of California.
In 1990, the Club became the Los Angeles Boys & Girls Club officially including girls in the club. A thriving community center today, the Los Angeles Boys & Girls Club offers services to both youth and their families.